Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cursing ... a rumination with the help of Justin



From a blog with a similar title which I discovered when trying to find my new blog on Google:  observations, ruminations, and a little humour.  The blog entry is entitled, "Hurting the ones I love ..."
"This has happened all my life, really.  Well, at least since high school to be sure.  I had quite the cutting tongue in high school with some friends and could easily tear someone to pieces when I chose to do so.  For some sick reason, I even took pleasure in it to a certain degree.  Now, I look back on those times and I shudder.  Part of the cutting tongue I used to possess must have stayed with me though, because even to this day, though I don't mean to anymore, I still rip people to shreds with no intention of doing so.  This is something I loathe about myself, and something I need to constantly work on.  In James it talks about how a rudder is only a small part of a boat yet it steers the entire ship and in much the same way a tongue is only a small part of the human body and yet it can steer the whole 'ship' as it were off course.

This is not just about swearing, obviously.  I don't agree with swearing much either, although I do partake at times for reasons of humor more than anything else.  That is something I need to work on as well though, not swearing so much.  What I'm mainly focusing on here is the way in which a person can use words to hurt someone deeply.  To be completely honest, this is something I truly fear in regards to a future relationship with a significant other or wife someday.  I know myself well enough to know that my words can cut to a person's heart with little effort on my part.  Does everyone have this ability I wonder?  If so, how does one keep from using it?  When they're able to control that part at least, how do they control the words that hurt someone they love when they don't even intend for them to do so?"

I, Albert Gedraitis, don't have quite the same view.  It seems to me, Justin, that cursing is all your fault, and you are the guilty party each and every time you resort to cursing.  First, you get mad and the anger has to come out, then perhaps compulsively you do let it out as a curse at someone.  I rather imagine that sometimes your cursing is justified because you've been wronged and want to preserve your dignity by letting the oppressive person, like an uncaring doctor, "have it."  Then, at other times, you're so short-tempered and irrititable that you let fling the words immediately as they pop into mind.  If there are these two kinds of situations in which you curse, have you ever considered what makes you irritable generally, as a tone of your life?   I've had to do that, and I found that the sleep deficit due to severe sleep apnea over decades had created a sense of constant irritability. In other words, what are conditions under which you function in a state of constant exhaustion that coud, among other things causative, leave you short-tempered? — maybe just because you can't make yourself understood at the moment — this has happened to me in academic and clinic settings.  Shoudn't your "family" physician be aware of these conditions, test you, and treat you so that you can function better.   More on that later ....

No comments:

Post a Comment